Another (nearly) perfect day

Aug 15 2011 Published by under Medicine

As a number of Twitter followers have noted, it's Up North time for the Pal Family. Every summer we spend a week together with whomever can make it up here.  This has been a family tradition since my father was young.  The mid-August weather is perfect: cool nights, warm sunny days, although Lake Michigan is a bit on the cool side this month.  The sunsets, though, are lovely.

One of my readers immediately recognized the spot.  The house we're renting is a short walk from the lighthouse and the beach it guards.

The local fishmonger has been in business for many, many decades.  He sends his boats out every day, and his market and smoke house is packed with the catch.  I just rode up there and picked up some smoked whitefish spread and a few filets.  Dinner will be heavenly.

Sleep, however, may be a bit less relaxed.  I walked into the room to say good morning to MrsPal, enjoying her usual vacation sleep-in and she said, pointing to the bed, "What is that?"

She was clearly expecting another of my bland reassurances, but I did not meet her expectations this time.

I don't like this feller one bit.  Nor do I like his buddies, two of whom suffered the wrath of the nearest PalBook (thankfully I wasn't reading on the Kindle).

A few phone calls, professional visits, and loads of laundry later, we seem to be doing just fine.  It's rare that I've rushed to do laundry so quickly, especially given that our room is on the third floor, the machine in the basement.

No one seems to be reacting to any bites, for which I'm thankful, but when we get home, nothing---NOTHING---is coming into our house without passing through the washer and dryer.

• Dan J says:

Make sure everything goes through very high heat in the dryer for a couple rounds. If anything has issues with the dryer (even books, etc.), then it's gonna have to be double-bagged and go in the deep-freeze for a week.

The little things are a pain to get rid of if they've established themselves, but I think you've got a good head start.

• D. C. Sessions says:

it's gonna have to be double-bagged and go in the deep-freeze for a week.

An airtight container, your stuff, and a couple of shoes (or other open container) with some newspaper soaked in formaldehyde. Wait a couple of days and there isn't much left alive.

• MadSciKat =^..^= says:

EEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

I had to laugh though - your PalBook strategy reminded me of my ex, who used to go after cockroaches with his steel-toed high-top saety boot, saying: "They don't get immune to THIS!"

• MadSciKat =^..^= says:

oops keyboard FAIL - Of course I meant SAFETY boot!

• Neuro-conservative says:

I have not personally tried it, but I would get this shipped to my home, ASAP.

• My brother got badly bitten by bedbugs in a cheap hotel in France, but they didn't manage to catch a ride home. Do you have access to a -80C freezer?

• Daniel J. Andrews says:

When staying in hotels, we always keep our suitcases, bags, clothing etc off the floor just in case there are bedbugs. Putting stuff on top of the desk, or tv set, or even hanging it from the clothes hanger bar won't guarantee bedbugs will stay out but I figure it reduces the risk. Hope you manage to take home only souvenirs, photos, and memories. And I hope the place you are staying will comp you for costs involved as well as a few nights stay. It certainly is in their best interest.