Happy campers

Aug 05 2011 Published by under Uncategorized

This is the first time I've ever tried posting by cell phone, but this being paradise it's the only option available to me.

20110805-124849.jpgHere's my quarters for the week.

20110805-124955.jpgThe views aren't too bad.

20110805-125119.jpgAs camp doctor I don't really have to follow all of the usual rules around here but I thought it important that PalKid take her swim test. She passed rather magnificently, then spiked a fever, puked, and spent the next two days in bed.

But all was not lost. In the way that kids do, she bounced right back. Last night we stayed up late. I wanted to show her the real night sky, just as my father did with me. When I asked her if she wanted to see the Milky Way she said, "Daddy, that's not real."

We fixed that misconception moments later, and she also saw her first four meteors.

The week here is short and full of sore throats and splinters. I can't wait to come back.

• Lynda M O says:

Incredible what they believe that we have no idea is anywhere near their little heads. I take care of kids and had a four year old tell me that the way I was carrying her was hurting her penis. When I told her girls don’t usually have penises, she told me her ten-yr-old sister had informed her that she had one. We had a great chat we were able to have on the way home that cloudy rainy afternoon !~!

• Marie says:

It can be frightening what bits of information get twisted in kids' heads (and adults'). I had a student who insisted that the Cold War wasn't real because she had learned about it during a lesson on propaganda. She thought the whole thing was made-up to manipulate the public. And she was 17.

• Slandy says:

PAL, camp doc is the best gig there. Have fun. Wish I was there.

• Mrs. Pal says:

So wish I could have been there last night. But of course last night only to see the night sky! Miss you both.

• A. Marina Fournier says:

When Sputnik had lauched and was orbiting, my mother took us outside one night to look for it, as she thought it was important to see. Was that where the seed was planted, for me to dream of being an astronaut?

Of course, by the time I was 18, the first space program was over, but because I was female, overlooking the short and non-perfect eyesight issues, there was no chance for me. Oh, and not an engineer or a pilot.

By the time women were allowed in the program, it was too late for me. Ask PalKid if she wants to walk on a planet around one of those suns some day--that's my current dream.

• Dianne says:

The week here is short and full of sore throats and splinters.

My week was full of TTP, Rosai-Dorfman syndrome, and "mysterious" anemias in people who were bleeding actively. I envy you.

• Benton Jackson says:

That camp looks like paradise to me.