Dumb or dissembling? We report, you decide

Feb 18 2009 Published by under Absurd medical claims, Medicine, Vaccination inanity

There was a piece of good news on vaccine front this week. The first judgments from the Autism Omnibus Trial were announced, and the special masters (who served as judges) agreed with the rest of the reality-based community in ruling that vaccines do not cause autism. The rulings weren't subtle, using phrases such as "misled by physicians who are guilty, in my view, of gross medical misjudgment". This is the Dover of the "other" ID promotion movement.*
Like any cult, however, the infectious disease promotion movement is unlikely to be persuaded by any level of evidence. This, despite protestations that they are not "anti-vaccine", but simply "pro-safety" or some such narishkeit. Anyone who is "pro-health" will be pro-vaccine, unless they are lying, stupid, or both.

And this brings us back to Dr. Jay Gordon, one of the leaders of the infectious disease promotion movement. After the first judgments from the Omnibus Trial, Gordon wrote two pieces in the Huffington Post, one of the bastions of anti-vaccine extremism. The first is entitled "The Vaccine Court Was Wrong".
First, please note the overwhelming arrogance in such a statement. The entire legitimate medical and public health community, and now the American courts, have concluded that vaccines do not cause autism. But One Lone Dude somehow knows The Real Truth. He is also apparently clairvoyant:

Vaccines as they are now manufactured and administered trigger autism in susceptible children.
This will be acknowledged by the AMA, the AAP, the CDC and the U.S. government at the same glacial pace these august entities followed in supporting the need to discourage smoking because it causes lung cancer, heart disease and other illness.

It will, will it? Why would they acknowledge something that is patently false? Where is your data, Dr. McDouchey? What smoking gun are you hiding from the rest of the world?
He then restates the same lie of which he is so fond--"I'm not against vaccines, just the way we do it now:

I don't recommend dumping vaccines; I recommend changing the level of safety we demand and a rigorous reevaluation of the schedule which now gives a hepatitis shot to a two-hour-old baby followed by six more shots six weeks later. The way we vaccinate lacks solid scientific support and ignores the possibility of increased vaccine safety.

What bullshit---look, asshole, if you really believe your delusion, then you should be laying down in front of the delivery trucks bringing the "poisons" to our children. If not, then shut the fuck up.
His other piece is even more idiotic, in comparing the discovery of the dangers of cigarettes to vaccines. Hiding the danger of cigarettes was an active, criminal denialist campaign. The medical evidence was very clear that tobacco was addictive and caused disease and death. It was just as convincing as the data showing that vaccines do not cause autism, except that the cigarette companies actively hid the data. The reason there has been no "smoking gun" connecting autism and vaccines is because they are not connected. It really is that simple, and anyone who continues to deny it is either lying, stupid, or both.
_________________________
*I often use the phrase "infectious disease promotion movement" to indicate those that are against vaccines, the most important public health measure in history. Anyone who advocates against vaccines is de facto advocating for more infectious disease.

• You write:

Where is your data, Dr. McDouchey?

and then later,

look, asshole, if you really believe your delusion,...

So, which is it? Douchebaggery or assholery? Or maybe some combination of the two? (Wait, that would essentially be an enema, which is Orac's purview.) Oh I am so confused!
    Also, "infectious disease promotion movement" For The Win. I'll be using that in the future.

• DLC says:

yeah, gotta love the "Infectious Disease Promotion Movement" thing. Even though "Oral Bowel movement" might be more the case.

• Denice Walter says:

It's all about *damage control*: following recent news about Wakefield's(what I shall laughingly call)"study" and the court decision,anti-vax preachers are making the rounds of woo-friendly radio and blogs,talkin' up the true gospel,singin' those hymns to toxin-free purity,and tryin' to keep the faithful from back-sliding into ...er...uh...reason, sanity, and data.

• Donna B. says:

I don't like comparing cigarettes to vaccines. I'm stupid enough to smoke, but I'm not stupid enough to go un-vaccinated. And I'm certainly not cruel enough to suggest my children or grandchildren not get their shots.

• Tsu Dho Nimh says:

Donna said "In fact, I remember holding my oldest daughter down (with help from a nurse) to make sure she got vaccinated. I am old enough to remember people who had polio."
    I remember kicking a doctor in the groin who was trying to hold me down for polio vaccine 🙂 (My parents wisely did not get involved in these struggles)
    And I also remember classmates with polio, and iron lungs.

• DrBadger says:

Just like Dover didn't end the ID movement, this won't make a dent in the anti-vaccine (or pro-infectious disease) movement. There will be more lawsuits and more idiots slowly increasing the country's infant mortality rate.

• Dunc says:

Dumb or dissembling? Why not both?

• bob says:

I'm glad the kid gloves are fully off when dealing with this Gordon guy. He could not possibly be more full of sh*t when he lies "I'm not against vaccines." This man is a monster. He is actively encouraging the unnecessary death of innocent children.

• perceval says:

sing it, brother. And how do we protect our babies? According to Dr Gordon, doctor to the stars, by not bringing our newborn to collect big sister from playschool and keeping them away from play dates etc. What PLANET does this guy live on??? Planet Nanny?????

• Donna and Tsu Dho Nimhm, I remember hiding under a chair in my doctor's office when I was 4 years old. My mom was so embarrassed! They lured me out with the yummy oral vaccine and then stuck me-- what a dirty trick!
    Nowadays, in a laughable twist of irony, I'm the one who bugs all my family members to stay up to date on their immunizations. "Ohhhh Mo-om, you're overdue for your next DTaP!"

• Interrobang says:

The thing that always gets me about these "I'm not really antivaccine but" (which reads just the same to me as "I'm not a racist, but [insert appallingly racist thing here]," FWIW) is the "too much too soon" thing. Do these people, despite their ostensible medical training, actually realise how insignificant a few vaccines are compared to the normal immune system challenges an infant has? The world is full of pathogens, babies put everything in their mouths (whether it's a good idea or not), and babies themselves are pretty freakin' germy. Pathogens are pathogens; does the immune system notice that the thing it's mopping up right now might kill you, as opposed to just give you the sniffles?

• advocate against vaccines says:

I have the patents for vaccines. I am very angry to find that aluminium phosphates and hydroxides are used as adjuvants, when they knew this metal causes autism, alzeheimers and behavior problems and "rage" in children and adults. Per the pharmacopeis these metals are toxic and not to be used on humans. Is an infant and a child not considered to be human to the pharmaceutical corps. and physicians, and FDA and CDC. Baxter patent 20090060950 used the term Benzonase. I looked up Benzonase on the Pharmacopeia website. A PDF report came up titled Vaccines. Benzonase is microorganisms such as the ecoli and yeast and other microbial. Then came aluminium phosphates and aluminium hydroxides used as adjuvants. Why are they injecting microbial organisms into our children and why are they using metals that they knew would be toxic to these infants and children's brains? What purpose does it serve to be injecting toxic garbage into these defenseless human beings? Why are they injecting our children with these life threatening agents? Look up the HIB (hepatitis B vaccine) patent 20030022304 and then patents 4673574, 4365170 and Smith Kline patent 6544518 on metallic salts (aluminium phosphate. Read what is contained in these patents and then asked yourself should this be injected in an infant and a child. Aluminium is known to cause "rage" and how many espisodes on the news have seen of violence and killing and suicide being done by the most vaccinated generation ever. Read patent 5290699 and see what they are using in your sugarless products called Aspartame. It is derived from fungus and bacteria known to secrete entoxins and can cause retardation. Read what your anti wrinkle products are made from and how they are using retinoids in your suntan lotion that you apply to these children. These are cancer causing agents. These agents were chemo research agents that were found to be too toxic for cancer patients, yet it is okay for they to put in creams that are applied directly to skin and on the face near the eyes, respiratory system and mouth. Per the Pharmacopeia these agents of tretinoin, retinoids, palmitate, isotretinoin, Acitretin, Etretinate were not to be used on humans. Read patent 6586213 Xanthum gum, Kelco Corps., this used in chewing gum and other food products it is fungus and baceteria. Genetically modified Organisms (GMO's) are bacteria and fungus and other microbial agents from plants that are genetically altered as such as the above. Patents on vitamins are using microbial and other harmful toxins. Go to free patents and used vaccines as a key word search or retinoids or nanotechnology and you will what is put in these products. What are physicians thinking in prescribing these agents and injecting our children with poisons?